Monday, September 6, 2010

Luck/Risks

I recently read in Psychology Today that there are actually "Lucky" people. Well, kinda.

I'll explain.

The article is called Make Your Own Luck by Rebecca Webber. Just a quick excerpt. "People who spot and seize opportunity are different. They are more open to life's forking paths, so they see possibilities others miss. And  if things don't work out the way they'd hoped, they brush off disappointment and launch themselves headlong toward the next fortunate circumstance. As a result, they are happier and more likely to achieve their goal."

Enough said right? No?

I am "lucky" to have these types of people in my life. I have them in my life because I am not one and want to be one. If that makes sense. (Side note: I think we make better friends with people who are compatible to us and offer something we don't, of course we bring something to them that may be needed also.) I have a friend who has had many jobs and tons of friends. There is never a closed door or window at the same time for her. There is always an opportunity waiting to be taken and she seems to have a sixth sense for them.

Me? Because I am the previously mentioned procrastinator, I have to think a while before making decisions. My mother recently asked me to go to a certain church group at a church we have never been to. It was four days away. We were both ready to go up until about fifteen minutes prior. I called her and told her I just couldn't bring my self to go. My excuse? I haven't had time to think about it. Yeah.

I'm sure it is much more than I can see myself and one day a therapist can tell me what my real problem is, but for now ...

So surely, you can see why this article has me motivated. If I were open to more ideas, then I think I would definitely have better "luck", karma, blessings, whatever. I might see what it is that's right in front of my face and not wait around. I come from a family of planners and so it is very hard to be spontaneous or take risks, because really that's what this article is about to me. Taking a risk. Getting out of my comfort zone. Not looking before jumping. I just don't do those things. I am a known researcher before doing anything. (Yeah, I checked out every little detail about that church...So?  Tis what I do.) 



There are a ton of things I want to do and at this point I need to start taking the opportunities instead of thinking 'it will never happen to me'. We all do this right? No matter what it is. We don't bother putting our names in the drawing box at the grocery store because we're already sure we've lost the case of Pepsi and a cooler. We don't bother going to a function where it is 90% people we don't know because we're too worried about what they might think. So we don't even give ourselves a chance. It's Ridiculous! And, frankly, I'm done with it. I want to try to win the Pepsi and a cooler. I want to put myself out there and make a new group of friends.

I'm motivated people!!

So, throw it my way. Give me something to do. Give me some suggestions for my first steps. I also want to hear how you deal with risks/"luck". Are you open minded? Do you seize opportunities at hand? Do you have issues taking risks and if so what kind?


(I keep typing "luck" because I don't really think there is luck, more of a state of mind, if you will.)

2 comments:

  1. I used to be a total risk taker-- after I ended the 6 year relationship with Aaron (the guy I was with latter part of high school and took to prom) I made the decision to move, applied for a job, packed up my car and was on the road to Denver within 2 weeks. In college I caught wind of our study abroad program, I wanted to experience Australia-- I applied and within 2 months I was on the other side of the world. It's what I do. Er, what I did. Lately, I've been struggling with self doubt that inhibits the confidence needed to trust myself enough to take those kinds of risks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a planner. I get the, I have to "think" about it. I believe for me, I have to process it. I have to make a quick analysis. BUT at the same time I have learned to put myself out there. It is uncomfortable, especially since I am no longer a size 7 lol. But you know a smile and kindness oh and a sense of humor get me through. When I am tired it is alot harder. My suggestion is to find a group. I use meetup.com and aside from that...I figure out my interests and look for groups online as well. I drag my husband and family to some stuff and other times I go ALONE! As far as the forks in the road, I go both ways. Sometimes I feel like I don't have the stamina for the risk, other times, I just go for it. What will it hurt? I just love new opportunities. I just get cold feet at times lol. In fact the canceling at the last minute happens with me too. I just can't process going sometimes.

    ReplyDelete